As React Native has become the current trend for building cutting-edge mobile apps, many developers want to get insight into the best code editors that are currently available for the framework. That said, I am bringing to light the best 7 code editors you can use for React Native to create immaculate mobile apps. However, developers must understand that the word “Best” may vary as per their specific requirements.
Click here to know “7 Major Reasons Behind Skyrocketing Popularity of React Native”.
Top 10 Editors For React Native Mobile App Development
Image source: Nuclide
Nuclide also offers all features of Flow, like Autocomplete, Code Diagnostics, etc, which is a big plus for developers who have to deal with React Native apps that are primarily written in Flow.
Key Features of Nuclide
- Remote development
- Flow Support
- Mercurial Support
- Hack Language Support
Image source: Linuxslaves
Atom, an open source editor for OS X, Linux, and Windows, is a brilliant text editor for almost all technologies. Since Atom has a very large community, a lot of plugins and enhancements are available for developers to build top-notch React Native apps.
Key Features of Atom
- Built-in package manager
- Allows cross-platform editing
- Multiple panes
- File system browser
- Find and replace
3. Sublime Text
Going by Stackoverflow’s 2016 developer survey, Sublime Text is the 3rd most popular Development Environment. Sublime offers a lot of packages and themes, much similar to Atom. Sublime Text came into existence almost a decade ago, hence a lot of iterations has been made into it so far, which means it has become a seasoned player in the tech market.
Key Features of Sublime Text
- Split editing
- Goto Anything
- Command Palette
- Distraction Free Mode
- Multiple Selections
- Instant Project Switch
- Customize Anything
- Cross Platform
4. Visual Studio Code
Image source: YouTube
Visual Studio Code is a powerful and flexible cross-platform editor.Though Visual Studio Code is a new editor as it was released last year (April 2015), it has already gained a lot of traction among developers.
Key Features of Visual Studio Code
- Extensible and customizable
- Git commands built-in
- Code debugging right from the editor
5. Vim Editor
Vim Editor is open source and allows developers to create and change any kind of text at ease. The plugins available for Vim Editor are as follows:
- vim-jsx – Syntax highlighting and indenting for JSX.
- vim-react-snippets – A set of snippets for Vim to work with Facebook’s React library.
- vim-babel – A set of snippets for Vim to work with Facebook’s React library.
Key Features of Vim Editor
- Extensive plugin system
- Integrates with many tools
- Supports numerous programming languages and file formats
- Persistent, multi-level undo tree
- Extensive plugin system
- Powerful search and replace
6. Spacemacs Editor
Spacemacs is an open source Emacs distribution. Spacemacs is simple for users who have used Vim before. You can also mix Vim and Emacs style in the same time. Since Spacemacs is based on layers, you get additional functionalities with it.
Key Features of Spacemacs Editor
- Command line editor
- Highly customizable
- Great documentation
- Mnemonic prefixes allows to properly organize key bindings
- Simple query system allows to find available layers, packages, et. in no time
- Community-driven configuration
- Similar functionalities have the same key binding everywhere
7. GNU Emacs Editor
GNU Emacs Editor comes free under GPL license. It has earned the epithet, “the most powerful text editor available today.” Emacs Editor is extensible, customizable, self documenting real-time display editor.
Key Features of Emacs
- Content-aware editing modes
- Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users
- Full Unicode support for nearly all human scripts
- Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
- An entire ecosystem of functionality beyond text editing, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more
- A packaging system for downloading and installing extensions
These 7 code editors enable developers to create quality React Native mobile apps at utmost ease. However, as I said in the very beginning that the word “best” may vary as per specific requirements of projects, some developers may find other editors better than the ones discussed above.
Have you ever used a text editor for React Native before? Do you really think the aforementioned editors deserve to be in the list of top 7 editors for React Native. Please share your views in the comment box below.
Source viva: http://www.evontech.com/what-we-are-saying/entry/top-7-editors-for-react-native-mobile-app-development1.html